Monthly Enrollment Verification
Starting in the 2021-2022 school year, Post-9/11 GI Bill® students who receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments are required to verify their enrollment to continue receiving their payments. This requirement is only for Post-9/11 GI Bill® and does NOT impact other benefit programs, such as the Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB), Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA), or the Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship. Read below to learn more about the enrollment verification requirement and verification methods.
Here's what you need to know:
After January 1st, 2022, all impacted students with a US mobile phone number on file will receive an opt-in text as their next enrollment period approaches.
1. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is encouraging students to sign up for text message verification.
2. Verify monthly enrollment via text by calling the 1-888-442-4551 GI Bill® Hotline to opt in for the VA text option.
3. As your enrollment approaches, you will receive the following opt-in text: “Post-9/11 GI Bill housing and kicker payments now require monthly enrollment verification. Would you like to submit yours via text? Please reply YES or NO.” Reply “YES” to opt in. The text message link will expire 14 days after receipt.
4. After opting in, you can verify your enrollment every month simply by responding to the following text message from VA: “Did you remain enrolled in your courses in MON YYYY as certified? Please reply YES or NO. If you have dropped all your courses, you must reply NO.” Reply “YES” to verify enrollment for the previous month.
5. Failing to verify your enrollment for two consecutive months will place your housing allowance on hold.
Note: Students who do not have a US mobile phone number on file with VA will not be able to use text verification. They will be automatically enrolled into email verification.
‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill."