Yellow Ribbon Program (Post 9/11 Only)
Baylor University proudly and voluntarily participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program as an option for all eligible undergraduate students only. *Graduate students are not currently eligible for the program* Individuals with 100% Post 9/11 eligibility honorably discharged from active duty, or a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement may qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program.
What is Baylor University’s Yellow Ribbon Program?
Baylor University is a private school. For private schools, the VA sets a yearly maximum tuition and fee amount, often referred to as the “VA cap payment,” which is paid toward applicable tuition and fees each year. Once the yearly cap payment is exhausted, Yellow Ribbon payments begin. Under the Yellow Ribbon Program, Baylor will match the VA’s 50% Yellow Ribbon contribution, resulting in $0 balance for applicable tuition and fees. Students are responsible to pay room, meals, parking permit, etc.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program (YR):
- You must be an undergraduate student
- You must be approved by the VA to receive Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits at the 100% level. For questions concerning your eligibility percentage visit, https://www.va.gov/resources/how-we-determine-your-percentage-of-post-911-gi-bill-benefits/.
- You can be receiving benefits under the John Fry Scholarship.
- You must be accepted to the University.
- You cannot be active duty or an active duty spouse using transferred benefit.
- You must provide the VA Benefits Office with a VA issued Certificate of Eligibility stating you are 100% eligible under the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®.
- Accepted students can submit their VA issued Certificate of Eligibility here: Submit Certificate of Eligibility
- You must remain in good academic standing with Baylor University. Baylor University is not required to continue making Yellow Ribbon contributions if a student is not making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) www.baylor.edu/sfs/sap.
- For additional information: Yellow Ribbon.
When can I apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program?
There is no Yellow Ribbon application. After you have registered for classes, you will initial the Yellow Ribbon option on your Request for Certification (RFC.)
How does the Yellow Ribbon apply with institutional awarded scholarships such as an academic scholarships and/or need based scholarships?
Important notes to consider when using the Yellow Ribbon Program:
- Graduate students are currently NOT eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program.
- You will continue to use months of eligibility when using the Yellow Ribbon Program. Once your months of eligibility are exhausted, you are no longer eligible to receive the Yellow Ribbon Program payments.
- Starting on August 1, 2022, you may become eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program if you’re currently an active-duty service member who qualifies at the 100% level (you already served on active duty for at least 36 months) or if you’re a spouse using the transferred benefits of an active-duty service member who meets these qualifications.
‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill."